Monday, March 25, 2013

Smooth criminal































This happened last February.

It was a little past 12 in the midnight and the whole household was already asleep except for me. All lights were out. I was sitting alone in our dining table reviewing pile of stuff I've written the whole day from my tablet while drinking a glass of fresh milk, when suddenly I heard a noise. The wind chimes attached to our screen door tinkled and the aluminum door sounded as though it was being forced-open. 

"Sino yan?" (Who's in there?)

I blurted but no one answered. 

I tried ignoring it but not a minute has passed when I heard the door once more. Again, it sounded as though  someone was trying to open it. So I sat up, went upstairs and grabbed the gun from under our safety drawer. Quickly, I opened the wooden door with the gun on my right hand. There was nobody in there. Finally, I opened the screen door and went outside, circled the house only to see Diego, my aunt's huge dog, tied at his usual spot, staring at me. It was a bitter cold night in Bulacan. I looked above the towering trees and everything was still. Not a single leaf moving. 

Sometimes I do get scared of the way my mind works. Everybody and everything is a suspect. Somewhere in a middle of a crowd, someone is always calculating for an attack sabotaging people's vulnerability.

It's a serious case especially if you're witness to crime modus and the criminals themselves almost in daily basis. I remember when I was about 5 or 6 years old. My mother brought me to his brother, my uncle's assigned police station in Tondo, Maynila. I remember asking for water and as I make my way to the fridge with my uncle's aide, I caught glimpse of those men behind bars. They were staring at me, their eyes so piercing that they scared me. I ran fast to my mother escaping their malevolent presence but the images took time before they died down.

Since then I have this fixation over criminals, terrorists and rebels. Sometimes I'd love to think I am one of them. Sometimes I feel they're my own enemies. 

In streets especially at night there are many blankets for safeguard. For one, you can blend in. Criminals who do it for a living don't just stick their weapons or attack anyone without locking a target first. The goal is for you not to stand out in a crowd. But how to make it look that you are not the perfect target? Either you make it appear that you have nothing for them or make them aware that you're watching them and that you're alert and that you are the wrong person to cross. 

But this strategy will not work for criminals with no definite goals. As a matter of fact, this will have an opposite effect. Understand that there are criminals who just want to stir a craze. Most are under influence of drugs. They will attack you when provoked and this includes meeting their gaze. 

So how to determine which type of a criminal this guy lurking in some dark alley? This, I'm afraid, you'll have to learn by yourself. Fear will teach you that, as it did to me. I don't go pretending I'm good, or an expert with how the criminal mind works. I am merely stating what I know and what I can share. In the end, it's our instinct, our natural defense we need to trust. Fear will never be gone but fear can be conquered at will and tough work. 

I know sometimes these thoughts can turn into paranoia. I recounted the story to everyone in the household including cousins living within the same compound. After three days, my kuya said one of the barangay tanods told him that an unidentified guy entered our gates. But when they followed the guy, he was gone. This kept me thinking because I usually arrive home at 12:00 in the midnight or 1:00 in the morning. Let it be said that we are not rich and that we are a family of modest roots, so I don't think we are legitimate target. But no one really knows. We'll only find out when the unthinkable happens. 

5 reaction(s):

Mac Callister said...

Baka ang puri mo ang totoong target nya DB! Charottttt hahhaa

At may baril ka? Scarrry!

Ingats kayo and dagdagan ang mga lock ng pinto, sa panahon ngayon wala ng sinisino magnanakaw.

Senyor Iskwater said...

tsk... intruders are everywhere na... ingats ka... barilin agad yan!

rudeboy said...

I thought the most disturbing part of this post wasn't the fact that criminals exist anywhere and everywhere and can threaten us, but that you have a gun in your house.

Désolé Boy said...

Mac - I'm a willing prey if that's the case.
.
.
Senyor - Apparently I'm no PNoy so I don't have the license to just shoot anyone I like. But if ever I do get one, there are a few targets on Twitter aside from criminals. I'm kidding.
.
.
Ruddie - Yes we do have one. Almost every home in our family compound owns one. Well, my cousins and uncles are police that's why although they don't really stay here as often as they used to.

Leeh Saberon said...

yeah right .. wala talagang pinipili ang mga masasamang tao .. just like what happen in our house last week .. pinasok kami ng mga magnanakaw .. at nakuha ang gamit namin ..

kaya natuto na ko at mas dadagdagan ko pa ang pagiingat :)


Ganda po ng blog nyo basahin ..


I'm your new Follower na po :))

from :
daisylee-saberon.blogspot.com

 

Copyright © 2010 Désolé Boy | Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Free PSD Design by Amuki