Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Conversazione di Dante e Virgil

as dreamed and altered by Désolé Boy


"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate"
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here




Canto, 1


Dante:     Halfway along my life's path, 
                in this dark night before Good Friday...

Virgil:      And it was alas, here in Inferno.
                 In this basso loco (deep place). 
                 Dirrita via (straight away).

Dante:      But why, am I mistaken?

Virgil:      You are not far from the fortune teller. 
                 Il contrapasso.

Virgil:       They had their faces twisted toward their haunches
                 and found it necessary to walk backward,
                 because they could not see ahead of them.
                 ...and since you wanted to see ahead,
                 you look behind and walk a backward path.
                 (Inferno, Canto XX, lines 13-15 & 38-39) 

Dante:     No longer I could sleep when I left my sane
                That exactly how 
                 I entered that wild place
                 It's impossible. It is.

Virgil:      If you hope to escape this wild ground,
                you must take another way around.
                For this beast that makes you quiver
                and cry out in dread
                is sullen but faint.

Dante:    Fortunate are those collected
                in blessedness about his High throne
                happy are those He has elected.

Virgil:     Later you'll see those to whom the raging fire's cure
               Brings contentment, for such cleansing they hope one day 
               To enter the ranks of the blessed and pure.
  
Virgil:    Would you come?
               Are you prepared to beseech thee?

Dante:   Poet, I beseech you with that God unknown
               Help me escape my present state.
               Oh, have pity on me. Have pity on me.
               Lead me on that journey you relate.
               So that I may see those you paint so sorrowed.
               And stand myself before Saint Peter's gate.


Canto, 2
Virgil moved and so Dante followed behind. 


____
Parts taken and altered by the author from the original The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri 
No intention to plagiarize. 

Image taken from here
 

Copyright © 2010 Désolé Boy | Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Free PSD Design by Amuki